Wednesday 31 July 2013

Judging a fish by its ability to climb a tree?

I like perfumes. yes, the classy chic ones; The type that speaks femininity, softness, good taste and class... The last time I bought a bottle of perfume was almost 5 years ago and I remember I was in a hurry but I spent almost one hour there and still ended up with close to trash (it had to do with the 'kiosk' i was in at the time), ever since then I have had bottles as gifts so I do not bother buying one... The reason of this story is the lesson I learned today.

I entered a reading room and I was greeted by the exact scents I like,yes, the ones that make me love being a woman. Seated before me were two lovely ladies as I walked past each one I wanted to stay in their sphere for a minute longer.
No sooner had I sat down did I begin to think about me and how I 'smelled', Whether or not my spray (I had used just a spray this morning) was equally creating such atmosphere. I concluded maybe not and was wondering if it was proper to lean over and ask one of them for the name of her body spray, perfume, cologne etc...


I had already judged myself inadequate and not up to the standard of an ideal 'woman' who by my judgement at the time were these ladies. I was still asking myself whether it was right to lean over and ask the name of her spray as I sat down. When I looked over my shoulder, I saw the computer screen of one of my 'ideal women' and on it was the magazine 'Vanity fair' and other 'hipee' youthful 'fashionista' stuff then it hit me...

I had judged myself too harshly by the supposed standard of someone I knew nothing about, I had almost let the fact that she 'smelled' better than me (I do not even think so anymore) get to me and make me put myself down and who knows, be uncomfortable or self conscious through out the day that was just starting for me.
How often do we judge ourselves by the standards of other people? How often are we in a competition with every other person's best foot? How often do we attempt to judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree?

No comments:

Post a Comment