Monday 17 August 2015

INTERESTING READ: My Labour Story by Anita

As shared by our friend Anita, Enjoy! :-)
I woke up on the morning of Jan 8 2015, after a very troubled tiring sleep during which my baby kicked and turned all night! In retrospect, i believe he was adjusting into the birthing position.
So... I woke up... and had to use the bathroom But I was wet. So I thought to myself, "Who would have thought I would pee on myself at night???" I chuckled to myself as I remembered other mom stories of how they had pee on themselves. But this wasn't pee! No sire! My water had broken.


So I stood up splash! It was all over the place. i kept muttering no.. no... it's in 10 days time. Your daddy isn't here (My husband was supposed to join me in 3 days time, and had begged us to wait o! But David had a mind of his own)
So, amidst worrying about making a mess on the rug, calling my husband, wondering if my 'good' panties were so I wouldn't shock the doctor, I called my friend who had hosted me a few days ago. She had just arrived at work and had to drive back to take me to the hospital.
I got to the hospital. It was winter and it was cold. And I was leaving a trail of amniotic fluid as I hurried to get check in. I got hooked up to all the hook-ups they could get; monitoring me and baby, we were doing great. And I started to count hours...

After two hours and and a mildly painful labor, I dozed off. I remember thinking, "Labor is not that bad na..." Lol... I never even start. The Doctor came in and said my labor wasn't progressing, they needed to speed things up. they gave me oxytocine and the REAL labor started. The pain ehn... I cant remember o.. But I cant forget either! It. was. A. painful. Pain!!!!
I had already decided to go through labor without medication, but it was tempting to change my mind, and the nurses made sure to ask every time they came to check me. But I stayed resolved. Na so o...3rd hr, 4th hr.. We dey! And them no gree me chop. the last time I ate was 6 pm the previous day. I was so hungry! And I was in pain. labor was coming like every 5 mind apart (who am I kidding! I no dey look time jare!)
5th hour and only 5 cm dilated! Oh my... I felt like crying... My friends and sisters, Cinthia and Rebecca were with me the whole time.They kept me sane. My husband was on Skype... Watching me groan...
7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th... I was now 8 cm dilated. it was now 9 pm. The pain was now coming from my BRAIN! But i was still determined not to take pain meds. I told the nurse to get the doctor, I was ready! haha! A joke...
When the mid wife came, they put me in the push position, and bla bla... I no dey see again!
Midwife: are you ready, mama...?
Me: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MW: Push, mama...
Me: How?????
Lols! Yep... I was straining but I had absolutely no idea what dey were talking about! All ye people that say it's like poopooing, it was nothing like that.
Na so o...  I was pushing for like 30 mins. They had to put a mirror in front of me so I could see baby's head... Chai! Oyinbo try sha! lol.. If na Naija, the kind swear wey them for don swear for me ehn! lol
My Ob-gyn Doctor had to come and perform an Episiotomy, and then in 2 pushes, my 8Lbs 13 Oz baby fine boy was born...
I remember feeling more relief that joy sef! lol... I was like, "Thank God i'm no more pregnant!" My husband watched the whole time... That's one moment I cherish forever...
And for the next 12 hrs, I just held my baby at stared at him...
:-) This was just wonderful so I will fi'le (yoruba word meaning 'leave it') and tell about mine in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment